The LAL group participates to both local and collaboration wide outreach activities.
Some nice links to discover ATLAS and HEP :
- The ATLAS outreach web page features hot news and links, a short film tells about ATLAS goals.
- On the web : even Google’s street view knows about ATLAS and many videos feature the detector assembly, but only this one shows what working inside the detector looks like.
- Blogs : Quantum Diaries is available in English and in French.
- The Particle adventure tells about the Higgs but also has a nice section about the « unsolved mysteries » which will drive our future.
LHC Run2 :
- The collaboration welcomes the first data in a multilingual message
- The CERN web site updated will tell you the full story, in particular the work done on the experiments and images of the first collisions
What about the Higgs ?
2012 : to get a flavour about the excitement you « MUST » see the documentary called Particle Fever , which can be bought online but is also travelling in theatres around the world, very often followed by a discussion with Physicists.
2015 : ATLAS and CMS join forces in the first common publication. The Higgs physics becomes more and more precise.
Resources for teachers and students :
- Conferences are given in high schools, MJC, CNAM, and any event organised by the LAL: see agenda here
- International Master Classes : the 11th edition will take place from 1.3 to 11.4 2017. It involves up to 10000 students !
- CERN teachers program: this 3-week residential program for High School teachers was created in 1998.
- Resources prepared by the IPPOG group are sorted by theme, language but also age of the audience.
Group members : Clara Nellist and Claire Adam have responsibilities in the ATLAS outreach group. Several other group members share conferences and public events, depending on their availability.